Saturday, August 8, 2009

My garden

My poor garden is very neglected...gardening was my great passion before scrapbooking took over the No 1 position, and I feel very guilty that my garden has been neglected for the last 12 months or so that I have been sooo involved with my scrapping. I was so surprised this week to see that my giant strelizia (Bird of Paradise) had actually flowered.


This was a much anticipated occasion, but I thought that the flowers would have towered above the already enormous leaf growth (currently standing at about 4 metres). To my surprise, the flowers have emerged against the trunk of the plant (at about head height) and are a little underwhelming despite their size, as the colours are very understated and there is little or no stem to make them an effective cut flower unlike their gorgeous smaller common relative.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen that particular variety before. They do look lovely, even though they aren't as brilliant or as long stemmed. Convenient that they are blooming at head height at least so you do get to see them.

    ReplyDelete